Sunday, December 18, 2011

Cream Parisian Wafers



These might be my favorite holiday cookie.  Well, these and two or three others.  Cream Parisian Wafers are part of my family's traditional holiday cookie spread.  My Grandmother, who by the way is a fantastic cook, has been making these every year for as long as I can remember.   Normally about half the batch make it onto a plate for the Christmas Eve guests; the other half my parents and I sneakily stash away in the fridge for a little closet Christmas eating.  Sometimes my siblings get to them first.  Anyway, needless to say, I have only ever met one person who didn't like these wafers.  They are little different from the peppermint and fudge that rule the holiday season and they look like you spent hours to make them.  (You might spend a couple).  The cookie is flakey and buttery like a very light, airy shortbread and the icing is your classic buttercream, but richer.  I would suggest a double batch: one for the guests and one for the family.  Keep em' cold and enjoy with eggnog.


Cream Parisian Wafers
recipe inherited from Joanie*
1 cup butter at room temperature
2 cups shifted all purpose flour
1/3 cups heavy cream
sugar

Mix butter at moderately high speed until smooth.  Reduce to low speed and add flour gradually.  Stir in cream.  Cover with wax/parchment paper and chill for 1 1/2 hours.  Heat oven for 375 degrees.  Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Using pastry cloth or parchment paper roll out dough 1/3 at a time, keeping the rest cold.  Roll to 1/8" thickness.  Using a floured 1 1/2" diameter round cutter (or a shot glass), cut the dough and then press rounds in granulated sugar.  Place sugar side-up on baking sheets  and prick with a fork two or three times.  (This will help keep them from puffing up.)  Bake about 10 minutes.  Let cool on baking sheet for 5-10 minutes.  Move to wire rack, cool completely. **

Butter Filling:
1/4 cup butter at room temp
3/4 sifted confectioners sugar
1 egg yolk***
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
red & green food coloring

Cream butter on high until smooth.  Add sugar and mix well.  If using egg yolk, turn mixer to low blend in egg and vanilla.  Divide in half and add food coloring if desired.



Cook's Notes: 
*I actually don't know where this recipe originally came from.  I have seen a couple similar ones online, but no link to the original recipe.  
**The cookies are really delicate, especially when warm.  
***I have made the butter filling with and without the egg yolk.  I normally forego the egg yolk, since they have to be refrigerated, but I actually think it tastes better when you use it.  If you do not use it add  1-2 teaspoons of milk.  

9 comments:

  1. I came here from baked perfection. My grandmother also made these and were always a huge hit. Now my dad and I make them. My grandmother got the recipe from the Betty Crocker Cooky Book. It is actually listed under the spring cookie section. You can still get the book on amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also found your blog through Baked Perfection. These cookies are so pretty and look like they would be great for any special occasion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing. What are the other three of your favorite cookies?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to all for visiting my site and the reference to the cook book!!
    My other favorite holiday cookies are my orange and cardamom sugar cookies (coming later this week), sugar cookies with a classic vanilla buttercream, Molasses Ginger Snaps from Tidewater on a Half Shell, and my grandmothers nutty fingers!!! I will try to post a couple of these before Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found this recipe in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch of December 3 1986, submitted by a lady who lived in Kirkwood, MO. It has been tucked in my cookbook ever since, and I make them every year. In fact, I'm making them today. In all these years I've never been able to decide if I like them better warm or cold.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so much better if you replace Vanilla extract with Almond extract, I promise you! Try it! Life changing! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These Parisian Cream Wafers have been a FAVORITE in our family, starting with my husband. In fact, we have named them . . . "Rob's Favorite Cookies." They are a scrumptious hit with everyone who gets the chance to taste them.

    Here are my suggestions:

    Keep the diameter of your cookies as thin and small as possible. I use a circle cutter about 1" in diameter. This keeps the integrity of the consuming experience at it's best! Bigger than that is like chomping on an oversized chocolate truffle. Small is better.

    We also use a small seafood fork to poke 2 or 3 rows of tines - - - similar to what a Ritz Cracker looks like. This is done before it is put in the oven. A bit tedious, but the presentation is beautiful. Not sure if it changes the taste.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My friend gave me these when I was in high school and I loved them. Unfortunately, when I tried them myself, I didn't like them. But your recipe has inspired me to try them again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How interesting! My grandmother has also always made these cookies. I share them with family and friends every year and no one has ever not liked them. However, my grandmother has always called them swedish cream wafers but the recipes is identical to yours. It would be interesting to know the origins of this cookie even beyond the betty crocker cook book.

    ReplyDelete