Sunday, November 13, 2011

Cinnamon, Cardamom, and Clementine Blondies


Anyone wondering when I was actually going to get around to using my favorite flavor combination?  I was.  I usually associate orange and cardamom with the fall/winter holiday season and I started this blog shortly after the New Year.  Last season I made orange and cardamom sugar cookies (they will be back), created chocolate orange brownies, and splashed cardamom in all my spiced breads, cakes, fruit pies and crumbles.  Hence, the flavors were on my mind.  It helps that I kind of think they are perfect together.  Anyway, these blondies are my first foray of the year into the holiday flavor realm and they are awesome!   I know I have been a little MIA lately- that would be due to my rather hectic work and school schedule.  I have had very little time to cook, let alone anything worth remembering or posting.  But, with the holidays upon us I am not going to have any excuses, even if it means late nights and early mornings to frost the cupcakes or salt the caramels :)
This recipe was perfect to get me back in the baking spirit and it was super super easy.  (I used a pre-mixed mix).  I was actually craving blondies yesterday.  Interesting craving, I know.  I am more of a vanilla than a chocolate person and I needed a quick pick me up.  Then I remembered I had a gluten free blondie mix in my baking cabinet and immediately preheated the oven!!  As the oven was preheating, I was unpacking clementines from the grocery store and next thing I knew I was getting the cinnamon and cardamom out of the spice cabinet.  Natural progression-hehe.  Hope you enjoy my experiment, my friend and I did with coffee this morning.



Cinnamon, Cardamom, and Clementine
idea by Orange and Cardamom

Your favorite Blondie Mix from the Store (enough to make an 8" x 8")*
2 teaspoons cardamom
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons clementine zest

Preheat oven according to package directions.  Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, according to the package.  Add the spices and clementine zest.  Bake as instructed.  Enjoy!!!

Cook's Note: I used Namaste's Gluten Free Blondie Mix.
If your mix makes a 9" X 13" double the spice and zest measurements.
Cardamom has a very strong smell before baked, but to taste it after it is baked I always add more than I think it needs.

1 comment:

  1. Those sound like something needed in San Jose. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete